Saturday, December 1, 2012

Week 8: Artist's Books/Collage

In this week's lecture about Artist's books/collage I found that all the work exhibited in the lecture slides were intriguing. One in particular would be David Hockney's collage piece.

David Hockney's Place Furstenberg, Paris, 1985.
   
What I enjoy about this collage is how Hockney is able to use the grid method to effectively place each panel in an overlapping manner to create a kaleidoscope effect. It brings a different perspective from the original piece.

In the fall of 2010 in my Design Fundamental class I created something similar to a photo collage:

These two artworks required a lot of construction paper and an very sharp X-acto knife. For the first art piece I created a stencil of a spade with card stock on Microsoft Word and traced the cut out spade stencil on the construction paper then I carefully scored the traced spade and glued it on the panel as well as triangles and miniature arrows and rectangles.

The bottom piece required the same technique also I created a stencil of the Miami Heat logo with a card stock paper but I decided to cut out geometric pieces of around the white space where the logo and the team's name appears. It was a very exciting project and it is reminiscent of a photo collage where you have to effectively sort geometric piece around your preferred work space and bring it all together as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment