Saturday, December 1, 2012

Week 7: Performance Art

This week's discussion about Performance Art proved to be an usual form of art. When I think of Performance art I imagined people dancing and putting on a play for the audience however when I viewed this week's lecture slides I was misled from I what I thought I would be viewing. Apparently Performance art is supposed to evoke discomfort and awkwardness. I felt that way about some the artwork that was displayed...






 
 (First Photo)
 Carolee Schneeman, Interior Scroll

Schneeman's work brought about an awkwardness to me. I find it very unusual that she stuffs a wrapped sheet in her vagina and attempts to string it out of her like a scroll. I didn't find her work hard to look at tough as compared to the next artist below.
(Second Photo)
Orlan, Reincarnation of St. Orlan.

Orlan's work proved to be very uncomfortable from the get go; she records her series of surgeries and is awake during all of this. I think what really made me look away from this piece was the fact there was so much blood being shown here and the look on her face that makes me feel very sorry for her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment