Sunday, December 2, 2012

Week 10: Identity and Politics

This week's entry is about Political Culture and Sexual Identity and lecture was very informative but not inspirational for me. However a just around this time a year ago in my Drawing I class at my community college we were fortunate enough to attend the Wynwood District Art walk down in Miami. It was a very inspirational trip. I was able to witness artists work on their pieces live and appreciate their techniques up close. While I was walking around different exhibits I stumbled across these two artworks and I figured that these have somewhat of a close relation to Political culture.


This is an artwork President Obama being held together by wire on the wall and on a make shift stand. Notice that there is a blue clothing outstretched on the ground. This represents his tie and what I found comical about this piece is that this artist is incorporating not only the wall but the ground as being apart of the painting. It make the work seem larger than life-size.








As you see here there is a headless man who is struggling to walk around with his walker while grasping a cordless gas guzzler. This sculpture is discussing the high gas prices that has affected many Americans who are dependent on gasoline. And how it is such a struggle to see the prices at the pump continue to rise.
This has been one of the many hot topics in politics.

No comments:

Post a Comment